Since we started celebrating fall by doing our Pumpkin Recipe Roundup, we thought we would share our very own recipe for our delicious Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes. The recipe is very quick and easy to make, but the end result makes your whole house smell like Thanksgiving while it’s baking. The cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin puree combine to make an incredibly flavorful cupcake.
We use a Kitchenaid stand mixer for our recipes, but if you don’t have one you could just as easily use a wire whisk and mix everything by hand. It’ll take a little longer, but it’ll come out just as excellent.
Everything looks better in cute measuring bowls!
Make sure you use 100% Pumpkin Puree, not Pumpkin Pie Mix. It makes a world of difference and doesn’t have added spices.
Maybe not the prettiest going into the oven, but they’re amazing when they’re ready.
Conscious Cake’s Vegan and Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cake
Makes 8 Half-Pint Jars or 14 Cupcakes
1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
1/2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter
15 oz. 100% Pumpkin Puree
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1. Remove the vegan butter from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature
2. Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar in a measuring cup or bowl and set aside to allow it to curdle
3. Combine Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, and Pumpkin Puree, and mix until thoroughly combined
4. Add small pieces of the softened butter to the mixture, with the mixer still running on stir add in the milk mixture, allow to combine – small pieces of butter should remain visible
5. Add the Xanthan Gum (ALWAYS add Xanthan Gum last) and give a brief mix, don’t over stir the Xanthan Gum or your cakes will fall
6. Fill 8 half-pint mason jars just over 1/2 full, place on a cookie tray
7. Bake for 27 minutes at 350 degrees (don’t peek while they’re cooking, I know it’s so tempting)
8. Check to ensure they’re done with a toothpick, allow to cool, top with frosting and serve.
NOTE: If you’re making cupcakes instead of jars reduce the bake time to 20 minutes and fill the liners 3/4 full. Add time in 2 minute intervals if cupcakes are not done after 20 minutes.
Conscious Cake’s Vegan and Gluten Free Cinnamon Frosting:
1/2 Cup of Vegetable Shortening
1/2 Cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Non-Dairy Milk
3 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1. Combine Shortening, Butter, Vanilla, Milk, and Cinnamon in a mixer and beat on medium-high until fully incorporated
2. Add in the Powdered Sugar 1/2 cups at a time and allow to incorporate before adding the next 1/2 cup
3. Use a spoon, knife, spatula, or piping bag to frost the cooled cupcakes